Curling has a long history in Port Elgin. The Port Elgin Curling Club was founded in 1907 and joined the Ontario Curling Association in 1935. The original club was located on Goderich Street, at the former site of Scoreboard Sports. At that time it had two sheets of natural ice. For larger events the club would use the ice rink for an additional four sheets.
The sport became very popular and the membership grew such that by 1975, expansion or relocation became a necessity. Hence, the PECC arranged and managed the construction of the current facility. The original club then folded and the new club has been in operation since that time. The local club has always been membership owned and operated; there are no plans to change this format.